A. A person of good character is eligible to be admitted to the Arizona pioneers' home who:
- Is and has been for a period of five years prior to his application for admission a citizen or legal resident of the United States.
- Has been a resident of this state for not less than fifty years.
- Has reached the age of seventy or more years.
- At the time of admission, is ambulatory, has proper bowel and bladder control and is able to bathe, clothe and feed himself without assistance.
- At the time of admission, does not require care in a hospital or in a skilled care or intermediate care nursing home.
B. An applicant for admission to the home shall submit to the superintendent a verified financial statement showing all assets and income, a social and health history and the results of a current medical examination on forms furnished or approved by the superintendent.
C. The superintendent may admit a person to the home when a full examination and investigation reveal that the person possesses the qualifications prescribed by this section.
D. A person admitted to the Arizona pioneers' home shall pay to this state, to the extent that he is financially able to do so, the cost incurred by this state for his care. The cost shall be paid monthly to the superintendent and shall not be in excess of the average monthly per capita cost of operating the home based on the average number of persons then residing at the home during the year. A person who neglects or refuses to reimburse this state as required under this subsection shall not be permitted to reside at the home during the continuance of this neglect or refusal to pay. This subsection applies only to those persons admitted to the home after August 11, 1970.
E. In determining the cost to the person, the superintendent shall consider the same factors for each person and shall include all assets and income of the person including the fair market value of any asset owned by the person and disposed of during residency or within two years before admission to the home. The superintendent shall verify all applicant and resident financial information.