AZ PIONEERS’ HOME CEMETERY INFORMATION SHEET
The Arizona Pioneers’ Home has legislative authority to manage and maintain the historic Pioneers’ Home Cemetery, 1300 Iron Springs Rd., Prescott. The cemetery has three sections:
- The Simmons Cemetery Section, established on the hill top in the 1800s. Ash burials only are available in this section for $500.00 per space.
- The "New Section" consists of the most recent surveyed areas lower on the property. Interment rights in this area are $900.00 per plot.
- The "Old Section," located on the north side of the property. No burials are taking place in this section.
Obtaining Interment Rights:
- Call the Arizona Pioneers’ Home (928)445-2181 or contact a local mortuary to determine plot availability and make purchases. A burial plot is $900.00; an ash plot $500.00.
- Payment for interment rights must be made to the Arizona Pioneers’ Home. Full payment for interment rights of a space must be received by the Home prior to burial in a space. When mailing, send to: AZ Pioneers’ Home, 300 S McCormick St., Prescott, AZ 86303.
- Cost for interment rights only includes the right for burial in a specific plot. Costs for opening and closing of the grave, headstones, caskets, etc., are the responsibility of the purchaser and independent of the interment right cost.
- Interment rights can be transferred or sold, but for no more than what was paid the Pioneers’ Home. Any transfer of ownership must be coordinated through the Home’s Administrative Office.
The Burial Process:
- Casket burials must be performed by the Home’s contracted provider. Contact the Pioneers’ Home for the provider’s name and phone number, or request a local mortuary to assist with this process. Payment for opening and closing graves shall be made directly to the contracted provider.
- Ash burials must be performed by the Home’s Maintenance Department. Contact the Pioneers’ Home to schedule. Payment for each burial is $100.00 and must be paid in advance. Ashes may be placed in the gravesite of an existing family member, requiring the $100.00 burial payment fee, but nothing further for the plot.
- Headstones may only be placed by the Home’s contracted provider. Contact the Pioneers’ Home for the provider’s name and phone number, or request a local mortuary to assist with this process.
- Headstones in the New Section shall be flat and low to the ground. Holders for flowers in the New Section must be inset. Simmons Section stones may be upright. Metal pot-holders and rock or fence borders are not permitted.
- The Cemetery is maintained in natural vegetation with native grasses and other plants. No special plantings around graves are permitted and all grave decorations must be disposable so that mowing and maintenance can continue.
- Notice of burials must be furnished to the Arizona Pioneers’ Home. Burial information is given to Sharlot Hall Museum for entry in the Yavapai County cemetery database.
- Call the Arizona Pioneers’ Home (928)445-2181 or contact a local mortuary to determine availability and make purchases. A niche is $900.00 with an additional fee of approximately $195.00 for each cremated remains container placed in the niche and engraving of niche face plate (called the Completer Package). Each niche can hold two. There is no additional cost for opening and closing a niche, and placing an engraved face plate.
- Payment for the niche itself must be made to the Arizona Pioneers’ Home. Payment for the Completer Package must be made to “Homecoming, Inc.” Full payment for both the niche and the Completer Package must be received by the Home prior to it being opened and used. Mail to: AZ Pioneers’ Home, 300 S McCormick St., Prescott, AZ 86303.
- Cost for a niche includes the right for cremated remains to be placed in a specific niche. Ownership of the columbarium and cemetery grounds is retained by the State of Arizona. Interment rights can be transferred or sold, but for no more than what was paid the Pioneers’ Home. Any transfer of ownership must be coordinated through the Home.
Columbarium Placement Process:
- The Home will receive from Homecoming, Inc. one or two boxes in which to transfer the cremated remains into. Family or the decedent’s representative shall place the cremated remains and return the box(es) to the Pioneers’ Home.
- Placement in the niche must be performed by the Home’s staff. If there is a desire for placement in the niche during a service for the deceased at the columbarium, timing of placement may be coordinated.
- Because two boxes may be placed in each niche, if only one box is placed, the purchaser, family or decedent’s representative may later choose to have a second box placed. This will require the payment of an additional Completer Package fee, which will result in a new face plate being engraved for the niche.
- The purchaser, family or decedent’s representative shall have the right to decide whose cremated remains are placed in the niche.
Columbarium Face Plate Information, Etc.
- Face plates may only be engraved by Homecoming, Inc., the niche manufacturer. Prior to cremated remain placement, family or the decedent’s representative shall be required to complete a form stating the information that will be engraved. Typestyle and format are determined by the Pioneers’ Home.
- Niche units do not provide for placement of flowers or decorations. However, flowers may be placed to the side of a columbarium at the time of a memorial service for cremated remains being placed. They will be disposed of shortly after the event (expect within a few hours afterward to a few days). Flowers and other decorations left in front of, or around the columbarium will be discarded.
- No special plantings around the columbarium shall be permitted.
- Information on whose cremated remains are placed is given to Sharlot Hall Museum for entry in the Yavapai County cemetery database.
For further information, contact the AZ Pioneers’ Home at (928)445-2181.